Caravan and Camping on Kangaroo Island - our top 10 tips
Kangaroo Island is so diverse with caravanning and camping options. Being 4,500km2, you can get off the beaten track and explore every inch of the Island. You are spoilt for choice, from private Parks with all the comforts, to absolute bush campsites with limited facilities. But how should you really take full advantage of the Island while you are caravanning or camping? Here are our top 10 tips to help you make your trip a great adventure:
- Try to book your travel with Sealink when they have a caravan or camping offer available, you will save a bucket of $$. Always keep an eye on their specials page here.
- Book some of your sites ahead of time, especially your first night. If you arrive late, we don’t want you having to travel for an hour or more in the dark before setting up! Check out the Kangaroo Island Seafront Holiday Park in Penneshaw, a two minute drive from getting off the Ferry. You can even book a Glamping Tent!
- The Council Campsites can’t be pre-booked, so get to each site early to secure yourself a spot.
- National Park campsites can be booked. Book them here. Tip: Are you a CFS Volunteer? You can book them for free with your member number.
- Each site is unique. Try to discover as many as you can, you won’t regret it.
- Definitely bring fishing gear. There are lots of opportunities for fishing in rivers, beaches, off jetties and breakwaters or rocks. We have a fishing guide which you can access here for more info. Also bring bikes, for the big and little kids. There is lots of space to ride around campsites to explore.
- Fill up with staples from the Penneshaw IGA, Drakes in Kingscote or the Parndana IGA. American River also has a store within the Post Office.
- Fuel can be found in Penneshaw, Kingscote, Parndana and Vivonne Bay.
- There are no free camps available on the Island. Our environment is precious, please help us to protect it.
- Camping within the Flinders Chase National Park is currently not available due to bush fire impact.
Check out our Caravan and Camping Guide here to help you with your research.
To help you get around and navigate the Island, work out what is open, to see and do, visit our Digital Map here to get planning.
Have a great trip, contact us below if you have any further questions.
The Kangaroo Island Travel Blog
About Kangaroo Island
Getting to Kangaroo Island
Search & Book Accommodation on Kangaroo Island
Experiences on Kangaroo Island
Use our Digital Map to help you navigate
Search & Book Accommodation
CLICK HERE to send a message to the
Kangaroo Island Tourism Alliance