Search Results - Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Cape Borda Lightstation - Flinders Chase National Park
Cape Borda Lightstation is testament to a bygone era of travelling the open seas by sail, and is a monument to isolation and hardship. The precinct is steeped in European history and consists of an unusual square lighthouse built in 1858, several historic Lighthouse Keepers cottages and a museum.
Visitors can learn more about the island's fascinating maritime heritage on a guided tour (fee applies). For a blast, don't miss the 12.30pm tour for the daily firing of the cannon at 1pm, which was once used so that ships could set their clocks and as a warning signal to ships, venturing too close to the shore in fog.
Other highlights include the museum where you can read the diaries of early Lighthouse Keepers. The nearby Lighthouse Keeper's Cemetery at Harvey's Return also offers a sobering insight into the hardships faced by early Lighthouse Keepers and their families. Facilities include picnic areas with sheltered gas barbecues and there are a number of walks available nearby, including the Cliff Top Hike.
To really experience the spectacular beauty and tranquillity of Cape Borda, why not stay overnight in a charming self-contained Lighthouse Keeper's cottage. Nearby Harvey's Return has a campground (camping fees apply).
- Adult $14.5 Lightstation Tour (valid 1 Jul 2011 - 31 Dec 2013)
- Concession $11.5 Lightstation Tour (valid 1 Jul 2011 - 31 Dec 2013)
- Child $9 Lightstation Tour (valid 1 Jul 2011 - 31 Dec 2013)
- Family $38 Lightstation Tour (valid 1 Jul 2011 - 31 Dec 2013)
- Adult $2 Self guided walk (valid 1 Jul 2011 - 31 Dec 2013)
- Monday: 9am to 5pm Tuesday: 9am to 5pm Wednesday: 9am to 5pm Thursday: 9am to 5pm Friday: 9am to 5pm Saturday: 9am to 5pm Sunday: 9am to 5pm Public Holiday: 9am to 5pm Christms Day: Closed ...... Guided tours available from 11am or by arrangement.
- National Ecotourism Accreditation Program
- BBQ Facilities
- Car park
- Coach Parking
- First aid equipment
- Interpretive Centre
- Picnic Area
- Public Toilet
- Shaded Area
- Sheltered Area
- Walking Tracks
Visit with our friendly staff at Kangaroo Island's only Accredited Visitor Information Centre and let us help you customise an itinerary as unique as you are to get the most from your time on Kangaroo Island. Kangaroo Island Gateway Visitor Information Centre - Howard Drive, PENNESHAW SA 5222 Open: Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm, Weekends & Public Holidays 10am - 4pm, Closed Christmas Day.
Need some help booking somewhere to stay?
Toll Free: 1800 811 080
While all Kangaroo Island accommodation is suitable for exploring the Island, particular regions of the Island afford different advantages. Whether you are arriving in the evening and need accommodation close to the ferry port, you prefer to be close to shops and restaurants or if you really want to get away from it all and stay in a more secluded area, there is a region on Kangaroo Island to suit everyone.